Author Topic: Surfer Call's Out - Shark Attracting "Chum-Boats" along North Carolina Beach  (Read 7375 times)

Terri Huie

I find the title of this article as well as the article itself totally disgusting! Shrimping & fishing is the livelihood all up & down the coast of North Carolina and has been for generations. Do you like fresh seafood or would you rather eat the imported trash grown in ditches overseas? The ocean is the sharks home not humans. Maybe if people starting watching their children, used common sense about the creatures who live in the ocean, these attacks wouldn't be happening. I have seen unsupervised children running up & down the beach, in & out of the water with no adult supervision whatsoever. How dare you blame our fishermen in such a derogatory manner! They are The hardest working people I know who work daylight to dark just so you can dineon fresh wholesome seafood. The Photo of the "Linda Ann" needs to be removed & you owe that kind & generous Fisherman an apology! This whole thing is about money! Put the commercial fishermen out of business so more tourists can lay claim to what used to be beautiful, serene untouched beaches.

citizensscience

• Administrator
What is a "chumming operation"?

#WITN describes this practice as a ... "crew throwing off fish and other refuse from their catch"

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:30:05 PM by citizensscience »
citizens science, red wolf, marine fisheries, ncpol

Norris

Do you think you aren't going to take food out of children's mouths if you support this and they actually do discontinue the shrimping industry in NC. Many of these families have a lot of money tied up in their boats and equipment. If they were to be put out of business it would devastate many families along the coast. Many of them have relied on commercial fishing as a career since they were kids, they would have no means of supporting their families as they have no other trade...and that is on top of the loss of their equipment. While our area does have a lot of tourism, you have no clue what kind of revenue these guys put into the economy. It would blow your mind. As well as providing food. This is not a game. So when you introduce this to your "gardening club" friends, who will probably not know much about the situation but will jump on the bandwagon because you ask them to...remember that you have not educated yourself or your friends on the matter. Fishing piers attract sharks, are you going stop throwing a hook in the water when you came with your children to vacation? Maybe we should focus more on the fact that these sharks are protected because they are said to be an endangered species. Do they look scarce to you?

Norris

These are not "CHUM BOATS"! These are working boats, that bring fresh local NC seafood to your tables. We feed your families. Without them you would be feeding your children imported farm raised seafood from other countries full of unknown chemicals that are harmful. They don't drive around and chum for their catch, I think we need to make this clear. If you want to take a stand for something and put a mass amount of people out of business I think you should all do your homework first.

Jerry Schill

• Welcome, From the Citizens Science Team!
What is a "chumming operation"?